Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Say You, Say Me - too bloody right!!!

An update on the 'pack in white'. I was invited back to Chattering Chipmunk's school recently to give a scientific talk to another grade of students, and once again had to run the gauntlet of one of the pack in white.

"So meiultravires" she began in an ever so silky (but for the harpy screeching) tone, "What are you doing here - aren't you working today - I thought you were one of the working mums who are just too busy to come in to school and help out!!!"

Hell I've been looking forward to this. I hadn't prepared an answer, but I had been rather looking forward to meeting with this lot again since my earlier blog. And when you're on a lucky day, you'll get the all time worst offender. This woman has hyper-charged nostrils and can sense my presence the moment I stick my foot inside the school gate. She'll just suddenly appear around the corner of the building, nostrils flaring, like a bull seeking out the last scrap of red cloth in the ring. As I turned to face her, I could see her pawing the ground, snorting through her nostrils, ready to charge.

So do I tell her "Well as it so happens, I am working today - but work owes me quite a bit of time at the moment, so I'm back at the school at their request, and will head on to work later." No - too much like defence. A little too nice - and open to further discussion.

An angry flick of the horns - she's clearly ready to charge. I cannot help but smile.

"Well that's the whole point really - I'm such a damn good mother - I do both!"

Can't say I've run into her since. Perhaps she's just too busy?

3 Comments:

At 7:30 pm, Blogger phil said...

suggest you tell her to get back home and fuck the gardener - isn't that what all stay-at-home mums do?

 
At 8:02 pm, Blogger mei ultra vires said...

Oh Phil - you are such a bad BAD bastard........poor gardener though.....head like a smashed in crab (hubby's contribution!)

Don't EVER change!!!

 
At 6:38 pm, Blogger phil said...

she needs to learn about stereotypes - but maybe they don't do that until year 9 in the bikesheds, with the PE teacher :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home